Kavar Cohort Study
After severally referring of patients which were HBs Ag positive from Akbarabad region of Kavar city to the gastroenterologist specialist, the first population based cohort of south of Iran was started form 2006 in the Kavar city (Southeast of Shiraz).
Aims of this project:
1. Identification of incidence, prevalence and normal course of digestive diseases based on four main topics of viral hepatitis, inflammatory bowel diseases, cancers and digestive ulcers.
2. Identification of incidence and prevalence of thyroid diseases and osteoporosis in this region.
3. Follow-up and treatment of people involved to review the natural history of patients and risk factors in this region.
4. Identification of osteoporosis risk factors and life bone density feature in this region
5. Identification of prevalence, normal course and risk factors of metabolic syndrome and fatty liver disease.
6. Investigation of the effects of lifestyle, dietary habitant, and demographic factors as risk factors for incidence of these diseases.
7. Interventions for prevention of digestive diseases
8. Producing of appropriate regional bio-bank
9. Identification of disease scheme in this population and surveying of their changes
10. Investigation of the effects of related risk factors on the course of these diseases
11. Identification of healthy and patient and their follow up
At first, cohort group was gone to the village, called peoples by paramedic, obtained blood samples and formed the questionnaire. After accommodation in the main site of cohort, all peoples which resident in Kavar region (include Kavar city and villages around it) are called and invited to the site by phone every Monday. In each step, between 120-180 person (occasionally up to 200 persons) are referred. They sign the consent form and receive the questionnaire. This questionnaire contains several parts and fills in different separate rooms. These parts include some personal questions which filled by the questioners are trained how to fill the questionnaire. After that, the section of height, weight, and blood pressure is filled and persons are visited for blood sampling (15-20 ml). In the next step, the person is gone to the physician room to examine the abdomen and thyroid.Finally, persons are guided to the final check point for checking the questionnaire and to make sure about the filling of all parts. The questionnaires are received from all persons, serum is obtained from blood samples and send to the Nemazee Hospital.
After 2-4 weeks, the serum samples are analyzed and persons are received related results. Persons are referred to the cohort physician every Saturday and if needed, dietary or drug regimens are administered. Finally, if consult with specialist is needed, person is reffered to the specialist with consult letter.
Based on the ideas of related Professors, the first phase was performed for 23000 persons.
Since autumn 2012, dietary questionnaire is filled for sample of population every seasons and 24hr urine sample is collected.The aims of this part are investigating of dietary scheme of the region plus evaluating of elements and micronutrients in urine and validating of questionnaires.
Second phase started from 9 Jun 2013. In this phase, again, 50-80 persons which participated in the 1st phase, are called to the center in every Thursday. In addition to the questionnaire and blood and urine sample, thyroid and abdomen ultrasonography are performed for them. This phase is the follow up of the persons.
All data include questionnaire, lab tests, and ultrusonography from the start of the study are entered in the data base system and therefore, the cohort data also recorded electronically. This helps us to analyze and report the data exactly.
For more information:
· The head of the University Cohort (Kavar): Dr. Mohammad Reza Fattahi ( این نشانی پست الکترونیک دربرابر spambot ها و هرزنامه ها محافظت می شود. برای مشاهده آن شما نیازمند فعال بودن جاواسکریپت هستید )
· The manager in chief of Kavar cohort atudy: Dr. Alireza Safarpour ( این نشانی پست الکترونیک دربرابر spambot ها و هرزنامه ها محافظت می شود. برای مشاهده آن شما نیازمند فعال بودن جاواسکریپت هستید )